October 19, 2015

SOUP"s ON

I've had an urge to make veggie soup for some time.  I decided that the time was right this morning.  Cool weather you know calls for homemade veggie soup.  It is now simmering in my slow cooker.  Just brimming with all kinds of veggies and a little cut up chicken and a piece of sirloin steak I had eaten half of and froze the rest.  My it is coming together.  Smells good and I will dive in tomorrow as I have a standing dinner with three ladies on Monday's in the dinning room.  Soup goes way back in my memory.  My mother made the best and always cornbread too.  I think most Mom's make it and I did too.  I remember when we had garage sales on Riverwood. We all contributed to the sale and have it at my house.  I made soup and sandwiches and put out bowls and everyone came at one time or the other and dipped right in.    Now, I still make it and freeze portions for later.  Nothing like homemade.  It always tasted a little different each time because there is no certain recipe  and you use what is left over in the freezer and add some fresh and canned to fill it out.  Come on by and I will put the bowls out.

I just had to laugh just now as I came through the halls to my apartment.  Two ladies were talking.  One said to the other--"Look at
 me and tell me if I am "coming" or "going." She seemed serious.  I feel that way sometime.  How about you?

Betty Boop

2 comments:

wvrhodes said...

I have been thinking about veggie soup, too! I have the beginnings in my freezer. We are having "semi-homemade" chicken n dumplings tonight.

Dot said...

Chicken n dumplings is something I struggled to learn--never got it right. At least not like Truman's mother. She was a champion. Put dumplings in everything. Rabbits squirrels, chicken, ham (best in the world),birds, almost anything her boys brought home from hunting. Of course dumplings in fruit cobblers. Have you tried tortillas? MaMaw I ended up buying frozen ones, They are o. k.