August 3, 2013

WHAT THE WORD WINK MEANS

The word wink, according to my beautiful dictionary, is of Old English origin.  It usually implies "deliberate movement in quick closing and opening of one or both eyes--one or more times."  It went on and on.  So I began to think about it and to research and found many reasons to wink.  Here are a few:

1.  To send a signal.
2. Pretend not to see.
3. To close a deal.
4. "O. K., you are right>"
5. Or does it mean, "I know something you don't know?"
6. Maybe Our little secret?
7. And then,  "Alright, it is time to start!" 

And then my favorite is a sign of endearment.  Or better put-to  "flirt."

I'm sure you can think of many more ways to define wink.  If you see me in the Halls, give me a wink, and let me interpret it for myself.
    
Dot Ellis
Creative Writers Group

No comments: