July 31, 2023

MUD PIES

 Did you ever have the satisfaction of turning out mud pies that did not break into pieces?  I tried all the time as a little 5-6  year old. IT WAS AN ART. . First you had to have mud, the right thickness. That was hard. Stir dirt into a little whatever container you could find. Add just the amount of water till thickness was right. You had to have experience. I did. My pies were turned into jar lids of different sizes.(no PAM SPRAY) You had to hunt in different places to find them, Once found the right size  you hid them, so no one could throw them away. Now a sunny day to "cook" them would be best. Turn out as many as you could stir up. Place them where the sun would shine all day on a board (best for stove)  Usually they are ready the next day. Hard to wait, but important or else they would break and a cracked cake is not pretty. I loved decorating them. I used what I could find--small pieced of grass, small flower buds, rocks and maybe a marble. Flip them out carefully. Now decorate. How pretty.  They were now ready for your dolls' party. Dress them up. Slicing a piece was a challenge. Little girls of the 1930's made their own fun. Maybe they still do. Lots of "old" memories seem to have been brought forward lately. Good thing I think.

BETTY (since I am old too)BOOP

p. s. just in years--not in spirit!!





1 comment: