August 30, 2020

DECALS

Funny how the mind wanders.  Mine went back away this morning to the first house we built and had three little girls born there.  Meadow Ridge Drive.  G. I. Sub. they called it.  First home of many G. I.'s.  Wonderful place to start a family after the WWII. days.  Anyway, we were all in the same boat, getting our civilian life back on track.  I remember we were short on money and cut corners trying to save. I created a lot of the extra things I wanted.  Like decorating my new kitchen.  MORGAN & LINDSAY  5 & 10 cent store (as they called) in Fondren was new and we could afford it. Fun.  Had everything you could want for a new house.  I discovered decals.  They had a wonderful assortment. I put them on the kitchen cabinets  and on flower pots in the window. Very pretty  to me.  I needed a toy box.  Make your own.  Found a large cardboard  at the A&P.  Painted it inside and out to make it stay stiff, put big decals of animals on the sides.  Looked good and worked for a long time.  We also haunted the discards at A&P for apple crates..  Truman mad a nifty little bookcase by painting and stacking them to make a much needed place for the the many little 25 cent LITTLE GOLDEN Books that I liked to read to them. (also from A & P) Many other sweet memories come to mind about those Meadow Ridge days.  I will spare you, but I will remember.

Betty Boops

3 comments:

Amy said...

It was the perfect house and neighborhood to grow up in!

Karen Buffington said...

I sorta remember that house. Wasn't it white w green shutters?

Dot said...

Yes Karen, you are right. It had a big tree in front with lots of ivy growing on it and we hated the sweet gum balls it was forever dropping. Betty Boop