April 15, 2021

CHARLIE McCARTHY & ventriloquist

I bet you don't remember him.  He was the "dummy"  side kick of Edgar Bergen back in the 1930.  Famed  Ventriloquist can't remember when he died, but I do remember him on early TV.  He was real popular when I was a girl. He had a famous puppet--Charlie McCarthy.  I had one of the doll puppets.  He was about 12 or 18 inches tall.  You know when I try to remember, things are hard to be exact.  Anyway,  he  had a string in the back that worked his mouth open and shut. He was dressed in Tux with a top hat. I imagined myself as very good at throwing my voice into him.  Now you can't move your lips as you throw your voice.  I am sure my mom and dad had laughs on me.  I see on E Bay they are quiet a collectors item and new ones are expensive too.  Wish I had held on to old Charlie,  but who knew he would be worth anything these days.  I intend to read a little more about him later.  This thought came to me while I was sitting on the Balcony.  Wanted to comment on something and tried to say it out loud without moving my lips.  Did pretty good.  Will  come in handy when I talk to myself (no Bitsy).  Silly thoughts this morning.  Oh, well.............SO BE IT.

BETTY BOOP

No comments: