June 22, 2020

NO SHOW

I am glad you did not show for lunch yesterday, for you would have been disappointed in the dumplings. Maybe not. A story behind it.  I pulled out my frozen homemade chicken broth from freezer.  Thawed it, stirred it, and behold-- that is just what it was--chicken broth minus the chicken I usually freeze in the broth.  What to do, I was ready for lunch and hungry for dumplings. I thought of Truman's  Mom and how she  was,  to me Dumpling Queen of the County.  With her unlimited barrel of flour, she made dumplings almost every day.  So good-she put everything with dumplings.  Any kind of fruit.  Apple, peaches, blackberries,  huckleberries, anything that they picked.  I remember she put ham in her dumplings.  Had that on hand all the time.  So I had thick ham portions froze.  Took out a slice and cut into small diced pieces and put them in with the tortillas.  Seasoned with pepper and they turned out as good as chicken .  . One thought leads to another and I thought of her and  what I would give for one of her biscuits right now.  She baked them on this cast iron "baker" she called it  Her biscuits were .brown and crisp on bottom and fluffy in middle. The bakers were  round and flat.  I  have one of hers now and I use it for grilled sandwiches. 
I scorched the broccoli  and ate it anyway.  Glad you did not come to lunch?

Betty Boop
P. S. I wonder if she cooked her boy's hunting bounty with dumplings.  Imagine rabbit and many other wild game they brought in!!

1 comment:

Amy said...

I’m pretty sure I heard them talk about squirrel and dumplings. I wonder how she got them so tender and light.