March 7, 2021

CHINESE TALLOW TREE (popcorn) tree.

I did research and I think what I have is a popcorn tree.  Whatever it is , it is in full bloom and so beautiful.  It has always been there but for some reason, I did not think much about it till this year.  They are everywhere along the roads.  I saw them when we went out to Dr. this week.  Everything seems to be popping out.  Sophia has a beautiful yard with lots of bulbs and plants surprising them each year.  I remember trillium coming up and violets and johnny  jump ups, many other wild plants.  Our back yard was divided in two, one tame and one wild and natural and then of course the Lake.  Leaving a part natural had two purposes:  upkeep and natural beauty.  Loved it all.  

I had the other half of grapefruit. Sure enjoyed it.  Also nothing like a perfect scrambled egg.  Do you know how to make it perfect??  I put a dash of milk as I whip it up.  Turkey bacon is good, fried very crisp, and of course half a SCV biscuit with honey, every loving coffee too, goes without saying.  So; LET THE SUN SHINE IN-FACE IT WITH A GRIN-OPEN UP YOUR HEART, AND LET THE SHINE IN.

BETTY BOOP 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A Chinese tallow tree, huh? Both my maternal grandparents and my parents had one of these in their yards, when my siblings and I were growing up. This tree was rather prolific in central Louisiana, as I remember. My brother and I, along with friends, really abused these trees - we used to pull off the berries to use as ammunition for our slingshots. When the berries first appeared, they would "pop" as they hit our "target." They released a milky, sticky fluid that left no doubt we had "scored"." (Maybe that is where paintball guns got their start.) Very soon, the berry skins got tough, leaving whelps to mark a score! My sisters thought we were as dumb as bricks! (And, looking back, we really could be.) I need to find one of those trees, to see if it is good for woodturning.
Joseph

Dot said...

It seems I have two kind of trees, One that is very prolific in the woods along highways, wild, are wild pear. The popcorn tree is different from them. I still may be mixed up about the wild ones we are seeing so many of in the woods. And then there is the Bradford pear so many people plant. Anyway I am no expert except in enjoying the beauty of Spring. The one you and your brother played with, is the popcorn tree (I think) I am glad you liked the pack of stuff We are really blessed here with so many things to do. DOT