September 1, 2021

ANIMAL CRACKERS

Why were they called crackers?  They were cookies to me.  Do they still come in the cute little circus train box?  With the darling little string for a handle?  I hope so.  There was a short campaign once to change the design of the box because animal activist complained that it was inhumane to put wild animals behind bars.  You see.  the pictures were wild animals behind circus bars.  O. K.  I hope that did not work out.  I remember as a child, going to the JITNEY JUNGLE  grocery  store,(was there another?) My Mother always told this story about how I would rush to the cookie shelf and grab a box of animal crackers, open it and sit on the floor, start to eat as fast as I could before she caught up with me.  Naughty girl.  I am sure she was mortified because the floors in those days were wooden and daily dusted with some kind of oil that kept the dust down , but were not made to sit on.  Me with my ( I am sure fancy white panties) would scrub the floor.  My she had a hard time with me I bet.  Anyway, I hope they still keep those wild animals behind bars because in a circus wagon, that is where they belonged.

BETTY BOOP

 

2 comments:

Karen Buffington said...

I have a hard time imagining you being "naughty". My dad, yes but not you!!

Dot said...

OH YES, HAD MY MOMENTS. AUNT DOT