March 23, 2023

NOT LOOKING FORWARD

 Memories of going to the Dentist when a child are still in my mind whenever I go to the Dentist today. Gone are the days when my Mother took me to Downtown Jackson when everything was there. In the lower part of Capitol street there were two-storied buildings. There you climbed stairs to second floor where there were offices of different kinds. The Dentist Office was there. Maybe the only one in town in the early 30's. I remember the stairs well. Narrow and stained dark and felt like jail to me. When we were ushered, holding my Mom's hand, into the torcher chamber room, there was the scary monster--the DRILL. OH, HOW I REMEMBER THE SOUND OF THAT THING. The breeze it made and the slip of his hands as he hit a nerve. I  had to be held down as I screamed. My, not a pretty memory. Today, is very different. No loud drill or a dentist who slips and is always checking you for comfort. But the memory lingers of days gone by and I still feel uneasy as I go this morning. Wish me Luck. 

BETTY (I may need it) BOOP

No comments: