August 26, 2022

MARY FRANCIS TEAROOM OR IS IT TEA SHOP?

When I worked my first real job during the early 40's, out of High School, I was on top of the world. Old Commercial Bank- later was bought by Deposit Guaranty. My first job was there. finally, Regions of today. We girls at the Bank would go to a place across the street called MARY FRANCES TEAROOM. They later moved to North State Street near the Old Capitol. I wish I could remember the famous pie they served, but it has slipped my mind. What fun we had. As well as shrimp cocktails at the still famous Mayflower Cafe on Capitol Street. As my mind serves me right, they were 50 cents. Just the thing for struggling girls Why did I think of these very distant memories? Minds are a strange and wonderful thing. It led me down Memory Lane this morning. So come with me and I will tell you about the Mrs. Engles boarding house near the Robert E. Lee hotel, which fed many a young man too. We as a couple went there to eat lunch a lot. Her meals were family style and also 50 cents.  Trust me and my memories as I am sure some are getting a little "faded."

BETTY (loved those days)

2 comments:

Amy said...

Mom!! Of course it was Black Bottom pie! Your favorite.

Dot said...

WELL. YOU ARE RIGHT. FIRST TIME I HAD IT AND THEN IN MERIDIAN AT THAT FAMOUS RESTURANT AND THEN YOU MADE IT FOR ME ON MY BIRTHDAY. RUNS ALL THROUGH MY PAST. GLAD TO HEAR FROM YOU. HOPE EVERYTHING GOES SMOOTH FOR YOU ALL.