August 5, 2023

THE PLAY PEN

 Remember the toy store THE PLAY PEN? Still in business I think.  A child's dream come true. And some mothers too. (ME) Could hardly wait till Christmas, when I would take my girls to pick out what they desired for Christmas. Usually they got what they wanted. I did too. because I pushed them to want Madam Alexander Dolls. So beautiful. I have a life long love affair with dolls. The doll company has been in business since 1918, I read. But the PLAY PEN is there too. Haven't been lately. I knew the couple who started it. She was in my High School class at old Central High in Jackson. They worked together to start it. Last I heard, it was still in the family. They had a storage building out back that they stored Christmas lay-a-ways every year. Most of us had to put them on lay a way and pay little at a time till Christmas. So we looked and planned way ahead. Planning and dreaming was the most fun. And to have a safe place to hide them was for me too. Jan wanted and got a doll named RUTHIE. I think she liked the long flannel nightgown she wore. more than the doll it's self. Right?

BETTY (I miss keeping secrets) BOOP

p. s. loved my dolls, especially the human ones!!!


  

No comments: